Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Now I lay me down to sleep...

When my Aven was born, I was lucky enough that my mother and my father in law were there to get to see her and hold her. I wish more of my family was there but it hadn't crossed my mind that I would be having her the day I did since my labor took a long time. My mother said a prayer for Aven as I was holding her and now when I think about the prayer I get tears in my eyes. My mother used to pray the same prayer with me and my brother when we were younger. I was in the bookstore this morning with D and I came across a book of poems by Shel Silverstein called A Light In the Attic. I flipped through it and read a few poems that I remember having read to me by one of my elementary teachers. Nothing like nostalgia on a cold frigid day! One of the poems I came across made me laugh out loud and I am pretty sure I will remember it always because it will forever remind me of my Aven and my mother.

The Prayer of the Selfish Child

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my toys to break...
So that none of the other kids can play with them.
Amen

By Shel Silverstein ~ A Light In the Attic

No comments:

Post a Comment