Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Who is like God...

When my cousin and her husband delivered their baby boy 16 years ago I hadn’t any idea that their world had just shattered. I was a teenager then but that isn’t why I didn’t understand her pain.  I didn’t understand the void in her heart because I hadn’t lived it.  I know the words out of my mouth at that time were probably that I was sorry for her loss and that she was in my prayers but after walking in her shadow and seeing her world and living the heartache, I realize those words I spouted at the age of 17 meant hardly anything and anything I said wouldn’t come close to making it better.  I realize now that most people really don’t know what to say to someone who has lost a child. It is not because they don’t care and it is not because they are dumb. The reason they can’t understand the pain is because they haven’t walked this, sad to say, worn out path. I am grateful most people don’t know this road because if they did it would mean that they lost not only their baby but their hopes and dreams that went along with their precious child. I am proud of my cousin, Mo.  I pray for just half of her strength and half of her courage.  I see how full of life and how happy she is and it gives me hope that one day I will get there too.  She is a wonderful mother to 3 living children, and to an angel. Today, on Ash Wednesday, I will honor and remember my baby cousin, Michael.  Michael means “Who is like God” and like the archangel I know he is close to his mother and father every day.  Happy Birthday, Michael Aaron!


A Birthday in Heaven

I heard you crying yesterday
And felt your heart-sent love
So I’m sending you this message
Now, from Heaven up above.
You’re wondering if I’ll celebrate
My birthday (way up here)
I know you’re missing me today
I feel your essence near.
God planned a special day for me
He told me with a wink
He’d ordered me a special cake
(It’s Angel food, I think)
I’m getting lots of hugs from God
He’s really good at that
And every time that I walk by
He gives my head a pat
Balloons will fill the streets for me
They float up through the clouds
And we have lots of clowns up here
That make us laugh out loud
There is a birthday carousel
Jeweled horses ride the wind
With music playing oh so sweet…
The magic never ends
I’ve made so many friends, you see
We laugh and play and sing
We ride our bikes and play jump rope
And sleep in Angel’s wings
We’ll have our cake and ice cream
And open gifts, surprise!
But we don’t blow out our candles here
Instead, they light the skies


Written by Kris Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment